Q&A

HOME >  커뮤니티   >   Q&A  
Q&A

대학 비 전공자의 음대진학- 추가질문입니다.

페이지 정보

작성자 뮤직에임 작성일16-07-23 14:34 조회16,847회 댓글0건

본문

1. 처음 질문을 드린 이유는 제 성향이나 후의 진로 설정을 고려했을 때 좀더 academic 한 분위기와 기회가 있는 주립 쪽으로 지원을 해야 하는가 싶어서였습니다. 그렇다면 university conservatory = 주립 school of music 인건가요?

꼭 그렇지는 않습니다. 오히려 주립보다 사립대학음대 (mostly liberal arts college) conservatory가 많습니다. 주립대음대가, 그리고 MM보다 MA가 보다 academic하고 폭 넓게 공부하는 것이 맞습니다. 약간의 예를 들죠.

주립대 conservatory: UMKC, CCM, Michigan, Indiana

사립대 Conservatory: Oberlin, Rice, Peabody, Lynn, Shenandoah

2. 답변 중, MM, MA 학위에 대한 언급이 있으셨는데, MA는 교양학점이 더 들어간 학위인가요? 그리고 MA 취득하면 불리한 점이 있거나 한가요? 제가 BA만 있기에 차이점이 몸에 와 닿지 않는 것 같습니다

한국의 BA/MA BM/MM의 차이점은 미국의 그것만큼 피부로 느낄 정도로 차이가 난다고 할 수 없지만, 미국대학에서 BA/MA BM/MM의 차이는 과목선택에 있어서 많은 차이가 난다고 할 수 있습니다. 두 학위의 가장 큰 차이점은 연주가 중점이 되는가, academic에 중점을 두는가 하는 것입니다. 마침 이 문제에 대해서 말씀한 분이 있어서 참조하라고 전문 게재합니다.

Q: After reading numerous colleges/conservatories web-sites, now I more or less understand the difference between BM and BA degrees in terms of the course of study needed for each of them (more musically concentrated vs. more wide and liberal arts-like). What I still don't completely grasp is: which dis/advantages each kind of degree gives to the college graduates in their future professional life? I mean are there any jobs or graduate programs where only one kind of degree is acceptable and not another one?

A: I don't think the actual title of the degree would make any difference. If there is a substantial difference in the program content, there might be some minimal advantages to a BM degree for a student whose goals are focused on music performance. If a music student wants to go to graduate school for music performance, the depth of music training and ability will be important and this will not necessarily be reflected by the title of the degree. By analogy, I earned a BA degree with chemistry major. At another college, my degree might have been titled BS. When I applied for graduate school, important considerations were GRE's, grades, courses, recommendations and experience. The subtle differences between a BA and BS degree would never be a factor.

I do think there is an important difference between music (and fine arts) training and training in the academic fields. Academics are very similar between institutions. The graduate from an elite, rigorous school on average might have a slight advantage. In many cases, the graduate from a mediocre college will have had similar courses, with similar course content and textbooks and has a good chance of competing and success in the workplace or when applying to graduate schools. It seems to me that the differences in music students and programs are much bigger. The student who is admitted to a top conservatory is likely to have a lot of ability, dedication and many years of training. They will go to school with similar students and be in an environment geared towards them. Even these highly proficient graduates are in oversupply and few will make a career in music performance. For the more average, especially non-conservatory, programs the students often enters with only very basic music performance proficiency. The odds of being able to catch up to the level of the best conservatory students are slim. I suspect that many of graduates from these programs would not be able to enter a conservatory as a freshman if admission was based strictly on an audition. I am not saying that students should not go on with music training, but they need to be realistic about "their future professional life." 

하지만 학부와 달리 대학원과정 MA MM의 차이점은 확연합니다. Performance (성악포함) 전공의 대학원과정은 대부분 MM과정이며, MA program에서 연주과정 전공을 할 수 있는 경우는 거의 없습니다. MA과정에서 전공할 수 있는 음악전공은 composition, music therapy, music history, musicology non-performance 전공들입니다. 어느 정도는 답변이 되었나요? 혹시 더 궁금한 점이 있으면 연락주세요.

3. 저는 사실 처음에 비전공자고, 레슨 시작한지도 반년이 채 안되어서 학부 자격(BM) 밖에 되지 않을 거라 생각했는데 집사님께서 학교에 직접 연락해보시고 방법을 구하라는 말씀을 듣고 연락을 직접 해보려 합니다이 경우 학교 음대 faculty, 교수 둘 다 여쭤보려 하는데 성악 전공한 교수 아무나? 이 메일을 드려도 괜찮은 것인지요? 그리고 연락을 드릴 때, 내 실력은 지금 이 정도입니다~ 하고 일종의 테스트를 받는 것도 가능 그리고 괜찮을까요

지원학위자격에 대해서는 해당학교 Admissions, 연주실력에 대해서는 음대 faculty 중 내가 관심이 있는 교수님, 혹은 학과장에게 메일을 보내는 것이 좋습니다. Admissions에서는 답을 해주겠지만 연주실력이 해당학교에 응시할 정도의 실력이 되는가 하는 문제는 답을 해 줄 가능성이 많지 않으므로 가능하면 2인 정도의 교수님들에게 보내는 것이 바람직하겠습니다

4. UC 계열 다른 학교 (IRVINE ) 은 어떤지 궁금합니다

UCI Clair Trevor Music School of the Arts Graduate program입니다.

At the graduate level, the Department of Music offers two degrees:

1. The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Music is offered in the following emphases:

Collaborative Piano
Guitar & Lute Performance
Instrumental Performance
Musicology
Piano Performance
Vocal Arts

For further information on these areas and on the application and audition process, please visit our page with detailed Graduate Application Information. For further information on the courses that students in each of these areas are required to take in order to complete the MFA degree, please see the degree requirements in the UCI Catalog. Note: we are not currently accepting applications in Choral Conducting.

2. The MA/PhD degree in Music is offered only in Integrated Composition, Improvisation, and Technology (ICIT), a new degree which will admit its first class of students beginning in fall 2015. (Please note: The MA/PhD in ICIT replaces the previous MFA degree in ICIT, and applications to the MFA degree in the ICIT emphasis will no longer be accepted.) 

For further information on degree requirements for the MA/PhD degree in the ICIT emphasis, please visit the ICIT website. For application instructions, please visit our page with Graduate Application Information

For general inquiries, contact:
Professor Kojiro Umezaki
Graduate Advisor
Office: CAC 3019
Phone: 949-824-6615
E-mail: 
kumezaki@uci.edu

제가 아는 한은 답변해드렸습니다. 더 궁금한 점이 있으면 알려주세요. 답변은 같이 찾아보도록 하죠^^

>>> 1. 처음 질문을 드린 이유는 제 성향이나 후의 진로 설정을 고려했을 때 좀더 academic 한 분위기와 기회가 있는 주립 쪽으로 지원을 해야 하는가 싶어서였습니다. 그렇다면 university conservatory = 주립 school of music 인건가요?> > 2. 답변 중, MM, MA 학위에 대한 언급이 있으셨는데, MA는 교양학점이 더 들어간 학위인가요? 그리고 MA 취득하면 불리한 점이 있거나 한가요? 제가 BA만 있기에 차이점이 몸에 와 닿지 않는 것 같습니다. > > 3. 저는 사실 처음에 비전공자고, 레슨 시작한지도 반년이 채 안되어서 학부 자격(BM) 밖에 되지 않을 거라 생각했는데 집사님께서 학교에 직접 연락해보시고 방법을 구하라는 말씀을 듣고 연락을 직접 해보려 합니다. 이 경우 학교 음대 faculty, 교수 둘 다 여쭤보려 하는데 성악 전공한 교수 아무나? 이 메일을 드려도 괜찮은 것인지요? 그리고 연락을 드릴 때, 내 실력은 지금 이 정도입니다~ 하고 일종의 테스트를 받는 것도 가능 그리고 괜찮을까요? > > 4. UC 계열 다른 학교 (IRVINE 등) 은 어떤지 궁금합니다. > > 친절한 답변 다시 한 번 감사드립니다. 이번 질문들도 답변 부탁합니다^^>

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.