Q&A

HOME >  커뮤니티   >   Q&A  
Q&A

Simpson College Opera Program (Undergraduate)

페이지 정보

작성자 뮤직에임 작성일13-07-25 14:14 조회16,156회 댓글0건

본문

Simpson College1860년에 설립되고 Iowa Indianola 시에 위치한 4년제 인문대이며, 1,400 명의 full time 500 명의 part time 학생들이 재학하는 소규모 학부 중심의 대학입니다

학교는 미국에서 유일하게 학부 학생들만으로 캐스팅된 오페라 프로그램으로 알려져 있습니다. 일반적으로 매년 2~3 편의 오페라가 이런 entirely student-cast opera program 으로 대중들과 학생들에게 공연됩니다

Simpson College Opera Program을 얘기하자면 이 학교 음악학부 책임자인 Dr. Robert L. Larsen Des Moines Metro Opera 이야기를 하지 않을 수가 없습니다. 왜냐하면 Dr. Larsen Des Moines Opera을 설립한 본인이고 처음 이 오페라 단을 Simpson College 에 유치했으며, 지금까지도 이 오페라단을 이끌고 있기 때문입니다. Simpson CollegeDes Moines Metro Operaperforming home입니다

이 학교 뮤직 프로그램은 1947년이래 많은 전문 음악인을 양성했으며 기악 (performance)과 음악교육 (Music Education)에서 BM, 일반음악에서 BA 학위를 수여합니다. 13명의 full time 교수진과 17명의 part time 교수진이 음악학부를 가르치며, 기악과 성악, 그리고 피아노학과에서 11 수업과 헤아릴 수 없는 공연기회를 갖게 하는 학교로 알려져 있습니다

지원에 필요한 사항은 아래와 같으며 조건은 여타 음대와 비슷합니다

1 Application (no application fee)
2 250 words essay
3 Recommendation
4 SAT/ ACT & TOEFL
5 Transcriptions
6 Auditions (not necessary, but for scholarship purpose) 

Admissions contacts: admiss@simpson.edu

미국 오디션 경험 기에 실린 Simpson College 오디션 경험 기입니다. 참조하라고 게재합니다

My daughter's voice teacher recommended we look at Simpson College for vocal performance (opera) because of his experience with the school through Des Moines Opera. Des Moines Opera was founded by Dr. Robert Larsen, who located it on the campus of Simpson College (Indianola, IA, 15 miles from Des Moines). Dr. Larsen teaches at Simpson College and still directs the Des Moines Opera. Many singers own aria books compiled by Dr. Larsen (and he plays the piano on the accompaniment CDs for these books). My daughter's teacher has sung many performances with Des Moines Opera and has worked closely with Dr. Larsen and the vocal staff at Simpson. He thinks highly of all the people connected with DMO and Simpson.

We visited Simpson this week and my daughter auditioned for a vocal scholarship. The entire music department came for her audition, not just the vocal staff. When her audition was over, the entire staff participated in a short interview. (And we were allowed to be in her audition and took part in the short interview.) After the audition, WE had an interview with Dr. Larsen in his office. Then a student took us to lunch (complimentary of Simpson) and talked with us over lunch, another student took us on a tour of the campus (including getting to see a dorm room being lived in), and then we had an interview with an admissions counselor. My daughter also received a free Simpson t-shirt. Talk about special treatment!!!!

Everyone was so very nice and encouraging. Many of the music staff stopped and had conversations with us in the hallways and the office. I feel it was an indication of the individual attention the students receive there. The music class sizes are 10 - 14 per class. (Good thing for theory class!!!!) The school is small, about the size of your average high school.

ALL students receive private piano lessons, not piano class. There are no graduate voice students, so undergrads are not competing (and losing) for roles against graduates. The semesters are 4-4-1 (4 months in the fall, 4 months in the spring, and 1 special month at the end of the year). The 1 month is used for special classes and opportunities. Every other year the 1 month is used for an intensive opera workshop where 50 - 60 scenes are staged/ performed. And on the other year, the madrigal choir goes on tour to Europe (this year they're going to Paris or Brussels, I think).

When we spoke to the admissions counselor, she told us that about 30 music students receive music scholarships every year. We were told that if we were trying to decide between Simpson and another school and money was playing a part in deciding against Simpson, to give them a call and give them an opportunity to find more money. When my daughter auditioned for Hartt, we were told in the orientation NOT to call them and try to negotiate for a better scholarship as they will NOT enter into negotiations.

On the negative, Simpson is such a small school that it is not a conservatory or even a school of music. It is simply a music department. BUT, all of Simpson College is made up of departments, not colleges or schools, because the college is so small. On the positive, you do not have to audition to be accepted to the music department. She was actually accepted to the college before going to the audition. The audition was merely for a scholarship. That did not factor at all in her decision to apply (we only found that out afterwards). When she received her admissions letter (before going for the scholarship audition), they told her that she already has an academic scholarship to start off with (25% of the tuition).

My daughter has auditioned for 3 schools (has 2 more to go) and is totally sold on Simpson. The other schools are more prestigious schools, but we really feel Simpson is the best kept secret. We are so impressed with the staff and the quality of students (the accomplishments they have made in their careers following Simpson). The opportunity to work with Dr. Larsen on such an intimate level is impressive just by itself.

> > > Iowa 에 있는 Simpson College Opera program에 대해서 알고 싶습니다. Des Moines Opera (DMO)와 깊은 인연이 있고, 학부 학생의 경우 많은 공연기회가 보장된다고 하는데, 학교소개와 입학절차 문의 드립니다. >

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.